This lack of understanding greatly decreases the chances for successfully navigating transformation and embarking upon sustainable trajectories. Research at Stockholm Resilience Centre focuses on bridging this gap.
1. Transformations involve incremental as well as abrupt change at many different scales.
2. There are at least three recognizable phases of transformation in social-ecological systems.
3. Institutional entrepreneurship and transformational leadership play an important role in moving through these multiple phases.
4. There is a clear link between crisis and opportunity for creating radical shifts and transformations.
5. "Shadow networks" play an important role in experimenting and finding new solutions to global environmental problems.
6. Innovations can break self-reinforcing feedback loops that keep social-ecological systems on an undesired trajectory or in a lock-in trap.
7. Resilience thinking adds the social-ecological system perspective to transitions toward global sustainability.
Phase 2: In the navigation phase, crossscale brokers can provide bridging functions that connect different actors operating at different scales and launch new initiatives and scale up innovations.
Phase 3: In the building resilience phase bridging organisations can create incentives and foster values for stewardship in the new context.
Source; Olsson et al. 2004, Folke et al. 2009
Research news | 2020-02-21
Despite rapid urban growth, agriculture in a wetland area in the south of Mexico City soldiers on, more than a millennium after its birth
Research news | 2020-02-19
Malin Falkenmark calls for a shift towards a water based biosphere stewardship. The alternative, she warns, could be catastrophic
Research news | 2020-02-17
Trying to reach the goals under current business-as-usual will come at a heavy price on the planetary boundaries
Research news | 2020-02-14
The new "Our Future On Earth" report provides risks analysis based on survey of 222 global sustainability experts, including centre researchers
Research news | 2020-02-13
New assessment aims to fill critical gaps in understanding the growing role aquatic foods play in the global food system
Research news | 2020-02-09
A new study harmonizes the water planetary boundary with local boundaries for the La Cienega wetlands in Colombia