This lack of understanding greatly decreases the chances for successfully navigating transformation and embarking upon sustainable trajectories. Research at Stockholm Resilience Centre focuses on bridging this gap.
1. Transformations involve incremental as well as abrupt change at many different scales.
2. There are at least three recognizable phases of transformation in social-ecological systems.
3. Institutional entrepreneurship and transformational leadership play an important role in moving through these multiple phases.
4. There is a clear link between crisis and opportunity for creating radical shifts and transformations.
5. "Shadow networks" play an important role in experimenting and finding new solutions to global environmental problems.
6. Innovations can break self-reinforcing feedback loops that keep social-ecological systems on an undesired trajectory or in a lock-in trap.
7. Resilience thinking adds the social-ecological system perspective to transitions toward global sustainability.
Phase 2: In the navigation phase, crossscale brokers can provide bridging functions that connect different actors operating at different scales and launch new initiatives and scale up innovations.
Phase 3: In the building resilience phase bridging organisations can create incentives and foster values for stewardship in the new context.
Source; Olsson et al. 2004, Folke et al. 2009
Research news | 2018-11-09
The perception of cognition and other related terms easily get misunderstood in scientific processes, leading to frustration, communication breakdown and a collaboration impasse
Research news | 2018-11-08
The fourth in a series of seven "deep dives" looking into the connections between resilience and development
Research news | 2018-11-07
A handful of international investors linked to economic activities may influence the stability of some of the world’s largest forests and hence the global climate
Research news | 2018-11-03
How social-ecological systems research can transform sustainable development to match the challenges of the Anthropocene
Research news | 2018-11-02
Ghana’s unique female intermediaries are increasingly squeezed out by global seafood companies
Research news | 2018-11-01
The third in a series of seven "deep dives" looking into the connections between resilience and development