These actors tend to be connected in social networks (see figure below for an example) and can provide leadership, trust, vision, and meaning in ways that help manage conflicts, anticipate and prepare for uncertainty and change or transform management organisations toward a learning environment (Folke et al. 2005, Boyd and Folke 2012).
Adaptive governance of interdependent social and ecological systems is key to address complex interactions and to manage uncertainty and periods of change.
A central characteristic of such adaptive governance is collaborative, flexible and learning-based issue management across different scales.
1. Adaptive governance provides guidance for understanding connectivity between features of resilience, dynamic change, processes and outcomes.
2. The processes of adaptive governance require an arena/platform to bridge sectors and organizational levels.
3. Adaptive governance coordinates different types of networks.
4. Network structure affects adaptive governance processes.
5. Legitimacy and accountability of self-organised governance networks can be constructed in different ways.
6. Abrupt change requires a different theoretical analysis.
7. Adaptive governance can operate in a global context.
Research news | 2018-08-14
New index reveals how climate risks are reinforced by global connectivity, leaving no country shielded from impact
General news | 2018-08-14
Event, Tuesday 11 September 2018 in partnership with ICF and the UN Climate Resilience Initiative A2R. A Global Climate Action Summit affiliate event
Research news | 2018-08-13
New analysis reveals connections between tax havens and resource degradation in both the Amazon rainforest and global fisheries
Research news | 2018-08-06
Keeping global warming to within 1.5-2°C may be more difficult than previously assessed
Research news | 2018-07-10
The World in 2050 initiative launches new report outlining synergies and benefits that render the goals achievable
Research news | 2018-06-27
Overfishing, fractured international relationships and political conflicts loom as fish migrate more unpredictably because of climate change. Here is how to deal with it